Hong Kong, 22 February 2018 – FWD Hong Kong today announced the launch of Mind+ Critical Illness Protection Plan ( “Mind+”), a new and comprehensive health solution that covers mental illnesses, critical illnesses and special diseases, providing all-round protection for both physical and mental well-being.
70% Attribute Source of Stress to Work
Paul Tse, Chief Marketing Officer of FWD Hong Kong and Macau, said, “Our survey shows that local workers are often under stress, which may even affect their everyday life. The World Health Organisation also estimated that by 2020, depression will become the second leading cause of disability worldwide, following cardiovascular disease1. In view of the pervasiveness of emotional problems and growing concerns for mental health in our society, protection for both physical and mental health has become equally important. However, there has been a lack of comprehensive coverage for mental illness in Hong Kong’s insurance market.”
The First Innovative Total Health Solution for Safeguarding Physical and Mental Health
Paul added, “FWD is committed to disrupting the Hong Kong health protection market and providing comprehensive protection, so that Hongkongers can live their lives to the fullest. We have taken the initiative to launch Hong Kong’s first innovative total health solution, Mind+ Critical Illness Protection Plan, which covers both critical and mental illnesses, as well as offering a series of professional referral and family support services, giving consumers an all-round, comprehensive and enhanced defence.”
In order to offer comprehensive physical and mental health protection to help alleviate the burden of long-term medical expenses and mental stress arisen from the illnesses, Mind+ Critical Illness Protection Plan is designed with 3 unique features:
- First in Hong Kong: Covering 10 Mental Illnesses (Including 3 of them Specifically for Juveniles), 58 Crises and 57 Special Diseases
- Some common mental illnesses such as mild depression, anxiety disorder and schizophrenia are covered up to age 69;
- Juvenile mental illnesses such as attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) and autism spectrum disorder are also included.
- All children of the insured will enjoy extra coverage against mental illnesses (ADHD, Tourette syndrome and autism spectrum disorder), crisis or death until they turn eight2.
- Apart from the above benefits, Mind+ also offers a series of full support services3, including:
- Complimentary DNA test for adults and Genie app: the insured can better understand their nutritional needs, drug sensitivity and fitness conditions. In addition, three 60-day challenges are provided via Internet of Things (IoT) to help maintain adequate exercises, healthy diets and quality sleep. Upon completion of these challenges, up to 10% premium discount for policy year two and policy year three will be entitled.
- Developmental DNA test for children4: better understand the insured children’s IQ (Intelligence Quotient), AQ (Adversity Quotient) and EQ (Emotional Quotient) to help facilitate parental communication, and boost the potential of the insured children. They can receive 5% premium discount for policy year two and policy year three after the test has been conducted.
- MINDcierge hotline: a 24-hour hotline which provides the insured with referral services of mental health experts and other psychiatric support services.
- Family support service5: to offer support programs to provide caretakers or parents of the insured with mental illnesses appropriate support and care to minimise the negative impact of mental illnesses and guide the insured’s families through the tough times.
- Family care services5: to recommend a series of selected services, from the provision of cleaning, nutrition recipes, baby-sitting to pet care services, in order to ease the mind.
- Second medical opinion6: to give access to some of the highest-ranked medical institutions in the U.S. for a second medical opinion.
Mag Lam’s Mental Illness Experience Underlines the Importance of Mental Health Protection<＿ /> Singer Mag Lam shared her mental illness experience and her understanding of the importance of mental health protection saying, “After becoming the champion of ‘The Voice Season 2’, I won many emerging artist and best-selling awards. I am sure like me, most people would not expect me to suffer from emotional disorder when my career was going so well. There is a common misconception that emotional disorders have to do with poor job performance or unpleasant life experiences. In fact, emotional disorders can strike at any time. Even those who appear happy and optimistic can suffer from this type of illness. That’s why having protection for both physical and mental health is very important.”
During the time of her emotional disorder, Mag Lam also lost her voice due to a vocal cord injury, forcing her to stop working and receive medical treatment. Her weight dropped to under 90 pounds. She said, “It took me a long time to fully recover. I understand that medical professionals can help come up with the most suitable treatment solution for patients, and I also hope that my beloved family can receive strong support and care. Only then can we overcome the illness together.”
Paul Tse believes that apart from claim benefits, Mind+ can provide all-round support and protection, from body to mind, and from professional referral, diagnosis, treatment to family support, enabling people to live their lives to the fullest.
The above description of the key features of Mind+ Critical Illness Protection Plan is for reference only. Please refer to the product brochure and policy provisions for relevant terms and details.